SPOILER ALERT

***PLEASE NOTE THAT POSTS MAY INADVERTENTLY CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Sunday 15 May 2011

Scre4m

Now I can't be very helpful or forth coming about the similarities and differences between this new Scream movie and its three predecessors'. Mainly because this is the first time I have even watched a Scream movie. Yes yes I know, put the rotten fruit down, its not the end of the world. Yet. Just enjoy my fresh eyed review.

The start of the movie is quite clever. As it comically eases you into the film itself, as on the fifteenth anniversary of the last town murders Ghostface rears his ugly head once more and kills to unsuspecting teenage girls. The following day Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) arrives back to her home town to promote her new book, and is greeted with a more than warm welcome. Her appearance raises a red flag, that and some circumstantial evidence makes her the lead suspect so she is trapped once again in Woodsboro.

Whilst in town she stays with her aunt and cousin, Kate and Jill Roberts. Jill (Emma Roberts) is this rounds new protagonist who is not only going through a tough time in her relationship, but now has the added worry that Ghostface has her on speed dial. Having thrice been his rag doll, Sidney does her best to help Jill defend herself and her friends who the masked murderer also seems to have taken an interest in. She puts in a call to an old friend to speed up the mystery.
Town Sheriff Dewy Riley (David Arquette) and now wife Gail Weathers-Riley (Courtney Cox), have regular marital problems, Dewy seems to be happy with small town life and his role as sheriff, whilst Gail is pulling her hair out with writers block and the monotony of Woodsboro. Unsurprisingly she's more than happy to have Ghostface return.

Research tells me that Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox and David Arquette reprise their roles for a fourth -and lets hope final - time as history repeats itself in the town of Woodsboro.
Though in all fairness, the town does seem to be taunting Ghostface, as the anniversary seems more like a celebration as the seemingly horrific events that left numerous people killed is some what of a town gimmick and helped to kick-start a movie franchise. Its no wonder that Ghostface is back, can you really blame him? The towns asking for it.
I'm not sure if I have already mentioned that I don't tend to watch a lot of Horror flick because I cant take them seriously and I don't jump. By the end of the viewing I am usually left dissatisfied and annoyed but I have to say I left this movie in high spirits and pains in my side as this film made me Scream with laughter the whole way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment