SPOILER ALERT

***PLEASE NOTE THAT POSTS MAY INADVERTENTLY CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Friday 18 November 2011

Immortals


As an all round lover of all things Greek Mythology and having anticipated this movies coming out for roughly about four months, (Round about the time I started The Tudors) I was giddy and hyped up on my way to the cinema. Its just a shame I didn't leave in the same way.

Theseus (Henry Cavill) is a young man with a kind heart who lives with his mother in a small village, where they are treated as lepers because of the circumstances of his birth. The only close friend of theirs, and mentor to Theseus is an elderly man, referred to by Theseus as Old Man (John Hurt). Old Man has been preening him from a young age to be a good fighter and a better person, but this ageless man has an untold secret. 

The movies antagonist is King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) who after begging for help from the Gods to save his family to no avail -surprise surprise- takes it into his own hands to find a way to destroy the Gods themselves. Releasing the dreaded Titans. Naturally their whereabouts is no secret, but he does need a special weapon to release them, the Epirus Bow created by the God of War himself. In order to find it he also needs the help of Oracle Priestess Phaedra (Freida Pinto).

The lives of our villain and hero get tangled when the things get personal and the King slays the only person Theseus holds close. You'd think that after the tragedy that was inflicted on him he would try and prevent everyone from going through the same thing but then I suppose this would be a very different kind of movie.
Like every great unexpected leader, as things get climactic and the soldiers are on the verge of whimping out Theseus gives a kicking speech. The speech received a gratifying manly rhythmic response, and this I think is what I would choose as my favourite scene as I literally got chills listening to it. 

There were some classic fighting moments that followed that made me wish it would have taken up a larger chunk of the movie as I felt there were moments spent walking and talking that could have been better spent fighting for their lives. Its Greek Mythology times, that's all anyone should ever be doing. The costumes I loved, especially those of the Gods, and the general effects and colour pallet worked really well for the film.

Sadly overall I was disappointed with this movie. The characters themselves here fantastic both in terms of acting and stylistically, the concept was mildly agreeable but lacked real depth and the anticipation of a great scene was a lot more satisfying that the main event. Perhaps if all the trailers and clips hadn't shown so many fighting sequences then I wouldn't have been so sorely disappointed with the middle two quarters of the film.
I also saw the movie in 3D (my very first 3D movie) and wish I had saved the extra £3 for a Happy Meal but the ending did make for a very good lead up to a sequel, which looked a whole lot better than the original, though I'm going to try not to Immortalise it in my head quite yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment